Power contract signed with Verizon for 152.5MW of solar in Indiana
Lightsource bp signed a power purchase agreement with Verizon for electricity from the Bellflower solar farm in Indiana, expected to be operational in 2022.
- Pollinator friendly solar farm will offset equivalent of 223,440 metric tons of CO2 each year
- Supports Verizon’s long-term commitment to sustainability
Indianapolis, IN January 28, 2021 – Lightsource bp today announced that it has entered into a virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) with Verizon Communications Inc. that will enable construction of a new 152.5 megawatt ac solar farm in Indiana, furthering Verizon’s goal of being carbon neutral in its operations (scope 1 and 2) by 2035.
The Bellflower solar farm, located about 40 miles east of Indianapolis in Henry and Rush Counties, is expected to become operational in 2022.
“Through their corporate sustainability commitment, Verizon is spurring development of clean and affordable energy sources in the U.S. that benefit us all,” said Kevin Smith, CEO of Lightsource bp in the Americas. “Working together, we’re reducing carbon emissions from electricity generation for the overall grid while delivering substantial local economic benefits. Adding initiatives to enhance local biodiversity further multiplies solar’s contribution to preserving our planet for future generations.”
“Last year, Verizon issued its second $1 billion green bond, which will be used to fund long-term renewable energy purchase agreements – including this agreement with Lightsource bp – that support the construction of solar and wind facilities. These facilities will bring new renewable energy to the grids that power our networks,” said James Gowen, Verizon’s chief sustainability officer and vice president, supply chain operations. “Verizon is committed to supporting the transition to a greener grid by making substantial investments in renewable energy.”
Local economic development
Solar projects can help strengthen local rural economies.
- Bellflower Solar is expected to generate $30 million in property tax revenue to Rush and Henry Counties over its life, benefitting local schools and other community public services.
- The project will create about 250 jobs during construction, with local labor and service requirements included in construction contracts.
- The operations budget for the project of $2.4 million each year will be primarily spent in the region.
Dual use solar – maximizing benefits to the environment and community
An action plan is underway for Bellflower Solar that aims to enhance local biodiversity.
- The plan is to create a pollinator friendly solar farm, designed in collaboration with ecology experts to restore and conserve pollinator habitat.
- The project will be part of pioneering university research on the benefits of co-locating pollinator habitat and solar installations.
Jun 01, 2023
Lightsource bp completes $460 million financing package for solar projects in Louisiana and Indiana
368MW multi-project portfolio
May 30, 2023
Solar Synergy in Indiana: Our Bee & Butterfly Habitat Fund partnership at Honeysuckle Solar
Creating pollinator habitat in partnership
May 23, 2023
Bellflower solar farm in Indiana helping reduce Verizon’s carbon footprint while contributing to leading pollinator habitat research
Bellflower Solar in full commercial operations